Web hosting advice
Darren
2007-03-12 15:25:03 UTC
I'm after some advice on basic web hosting please.

I want to host a basic website (for my forthcoming wedding) with the ability
to show a few pictures, directions, links to a couple of external sites for
say, directions, gift list etc, but generally a fairly basic website. I only
want to pay a very small amount of money and don't need masses of space or
email addresses.

I would like a particular '.co.uk' address and I know that the domain is
available having searched it on a few web hosting service providers.

Technically, I have taught myself very basic HTML and was able to upload
some very basic code to my free webspace courtesy of NTL via FTP and would
like to design the website using this method (but would also like the
ability to upoload it from, say Frontpage, if i decided to write it within
that in the end)

My questions are:

Can I buy a years worth of the domain name that I want and have anyone
visiting that domain to be automatically re-directed to my less user
friendly NTL homepage address where I have the 55Mb of space that will
probably cover the requirement?

And,

Will I have to pay for hosting as well as registering the domain name to
enable this to work?

And finally, if I'm not going about this the best way and there is a
reliable provider out there who can do this cheaply, still allowing me to
upload via FTP, for a reasonable monthly cost can anyone point me towards
some good web hosting service providers and/or domain name registration?

I hope I haven't embarrased myself technically with these questions, any
help will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Darren
Hostingforabuck
2007-03-12 15:52:11 UTC
[...]
Darren,

You will need to purchase the domain name, and then have the domain
point to your NTL homepage. Domain forwarding or redirection is what
you want. Most companies charge for this however, you can do a google
search and perhaps find one that does not charge.

Also, you can find a budget host where you can host your site. Many
budget hosts allow FTP access either through a FTP program or through
programs like frontpage or dreamweaver.

We do offer budget plans, as do many other hosts out there. Before you
decide to use a host, do a little research on them, how long they have
been in business, reviews of their service (but not from websites,
these usually get paid by webhosts for favorable reviews). A good
resource is alt.www.webmaster. There are many people there can steer
you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.